Do you worry about what’s the best way to present your Awards of Excellence submission to our judges? Well, there’s no need to – our judges are here to offer a few words of advice.
VRCA hosted an Awards of Excellence information session on March 7 featuring awards chair Tony Everett and awards judge Bob Proctor. They covered a range of topics, from key dates to how best to organize the content of your submission.
Everett took a few minutes after the session to record a short video offering up the judges’ Top 5 tips for making your submissions.
Their five things to remember included:
- Format – Judges use a pre-set evaluation form to score the projects. If you organize your project details following the order of this form, it will be easier to judges to review your project.
- Value Engineering, Innovation, Challenges met – Make sure you identify how your project or work on a project stands apart from others by clearly stating the value engineering, innovation and challenges were overcome with the project.
- Knowledge of the project at your presentation – Make sure that the people responsible for making the presentation to the judges have good knowledge of the project.
- Photographs are a big plus – Including photographs that show the scope of your work on a project will help judges visualize the project details.
- Relax, we are here to help
The judges also shared the following details about the AOE timeline:
April 9, 2018: Submission Deadline (only the one-page nomination form must be submitted)
May 2018: Presentation Scheduling – VRCA will call to schedule presentations to the awards committee
June 2018: Presentations – either on-site or at VRCA office – made to awards committee
August 9, 2018: Announcement of Silver Winners
Oct 23, 2018: Awards of Excellence Banquet – Announcement of Gold Winners
Helpful Links & Information
To be eligible for the 2018 awards, projects must have a substantial completion date between April 30, 2016 and April 30, 2018.
If you have questions, please contact VRCA at [email protected].