The authority to administer the Safety Standards Act in the electrical and gas technologies at the Port of Vancouver that lands within the City of Vancouver has transitioned to Technical Safety BC as of Oct. 1.
Technical Safety BC already has authority on Port of Vancouver lands over other technologies within the agency’s mandate. Individuals installing, operating, manufacturing, altering, maintaining or selling equipment in any of the following technologies are now operating under Technical Safety BC jurisdiction:
- Electrical equipment and systems*
- Boilers, pressure vessels and refrigeration systems
- Natural gas and propane appliances and systems, including hydrogen*
- Elevating devices, such as elevators and escalators
- Passenger ropeways, such as aerial trams and ski lifts
- Amusement devices
- Complex and integrated technical systems involving several technologies
*Previously under City of Vancouver jurisdiction, meaning permits would have been obtained through them.
For projects operating within the Port of Vancouver, contractors must take out permits issued by the City of Vancouver. Permits can be applied for through Technical Safety BC by phone at 1-866-566-7233, online at https://portal.technicalsafetybc.ca/login or through a licensed contractor at https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/find-contractor.
For more information on this policy change and how it might impact your business, click here.